TALK UP TAIHAPE (TAIHAPE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TRUST - tcdt)
The aim of the Taihape Community Development Trust (Talk Up Taihape) is to promote community development and manage community projects and events for the benefit of the Taihape community.
The Trust endeavours to achieve this aim through the following objectives:
- Providing professional assistance at little or no charge to other voluntary clubs and community organisations for planning projects;
- Locating and arranging funding for projects that will benefit the Taihape community;
- Initiating and organising community projects and events; and
- Coordinating resources and organisations.
The Trust has been active in the Taihape community since April 2007 and the following is a brief overview of its many projects and events:
- The Taihape community website www.taihape.co.nz was established and provides information about Taihape, its local businesses, projects and events.
- A visitor brochure has been produced, providing information about the town, its history, local activities, and businesses. In addition, Talk Up Taihape has assisted with the production of various other brochures, for example the ‘Rangitikei Walks’ brochure.
- In March 2008, the Trust initiated the Taihape Leisure Hub Project which involved the organizing of various community meetings to bring together the large amount of sport and voluntary groups in the area to develop a multipurpose facility on Memorial Park. Clubs Taihape Inc. was formed in 2012 to progress this project.
- The Trust undertook the survey ‘Your Opinion Matters’. The Trust endeavoured to find out what projects and events the community felt should be pursued, what was expected from Gumboot Day, whether the town needed security cameras, what should happened to the Swim Centre and what the opinion was about the website. The Trust published the results in the Central District Times and on its website and used these results for (successful) funding applications to Pub Charity, Lottery Communities, COGS and Powerco.
- In August 2008 the Trust was closely involved with the organising of the North Island Main Trunk Line Centenary event in Taihape.
- The Trust successfully organises Gumboot Day - an annual event, occurring on a Saturday in March.
- The Trust was approached by the Taihape Community Board regarding a play ground for the very young. The Trust is working with the board towards the establishment of such a play ground.
- The Trust secured a 3-year grant (2008-10) from the Ministry of Social Development as part of its Enterprising Communities Scheme. This grant has made it possible for the Trust to continue its work in the community and explore projects that could provide a permanent income source.
- The Trust has a service contract with the Rangitikei District Council for management of the Taihape Swim Centre. The aim of the transfer of operational management was a decrease in the rates for the Taihape rate payer.
- In addition to the above, the Trust works together with a large amount of groups in improving the region. Examples are the Taihape business community to increase visitor numbers to the town, the local paper for advice on advertising and to create a profile for the Trust, the Rangitikei District Council as part of its Enjoying Life in the Rangitikei theme group, Work & Income and Heartland Services in increasing employment opportunities, and the Taihape Area School as a major stakeholder in both the Leisure Hub project and the Swim Centre upgrade.
- The Talk Up Taihape newsletter is published monthly. Subscribe for your copy, or view the last year's issues here.
- Finally, the Trust has assisted with various other events (e.g. Trolley Derby 2007, Gumboot Throwing Competitions and Relay for Life) and helped organisations getting established (e.g. Local Farmers Market).
The current Trustees are: Greg Woollaston (Chair), Katene Peretini (Vice Chair), Angela Oliver(Treasurer), Les Clarke, Oliver Sanderson.
The Trust Manager is Elizabeth Mortland. You can contact her by phone (06 388 1307) or e-mail: email@example.com.
The Trust would like to thank the following for their support for the various community projects from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016.
Rangitikei District Council, Pub Charity, Dudding Trust, Community Organisation Grants Scheme (COGS), Powerco, Creative Communities NZ, Whanganui Community Foundation, Byford's Construction Co. Ltd, Property Brokers, Incept Marine, Event Medics, TMS Motors Ltd, Taihape New World, Taihape McDonalds, Taihape Honda, Westpac, ANZ, BNZ, Winstone Pulp International, Peak FM, Bennetts Funeral Services, The Downs Group - Marton, Treadwell Gordon, Matt Hobbs Plumbing Ltd, DK Plumbing, Taihape Plumbing Ltd, River Valley, Mokai Gravity Canyon, Mangaweka Adventure Co., Fairfax Media, Fred Hammer & Co, Andrea Spicer Jeweller, Bonds Jewellers, Le Café Telephonique, Soul Café, Little Blue Lamb, Farmlands Taihape, Taihape Liquorland, Simply Brewing, Mana Bus Company, Taihape Motels, Aspen Court Motel, Safari Motel, Coachman Motel, Alex Wong's, Taihape Engineering Ltd, Taihape Pharmacy, Kairanga Eggs, Cutting Edge Sport, New Zealand Boot Throwing Association, Skellerup, Bata Industrials, Bunnings - Whanganui, The Wool Company, Gilmour's - Palmerston North.
PLEASE REMEMBER THE TAIHAPE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TRUST IN YOUR WILL. Let your interests in the Taihape Community be your beneficiary. By making a bequest to the Taihape Community Development Trust you will be supporting effective community development work being carried out by this charitable trust. For more information please contact the Trust Manager.